Jedi|Sith Order
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jedi|Sith Order

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Why use twifire

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
mcmonkey
Honorary Helper
Honorary Helper
mcmonkey

Why use twifire Empty
PostSubject: Why use twifire   Why use twifire Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 3:10 pm

My response to https://jedisithorder.rpg-board.net/t135-server-updates-modifications
because they keep posting discussion-needing-things in a locked section for some silly reason.

Quote :
1: Are we going to take advantage of / use it for what its worth concerning 'Twifire' mod?
Reason I ask this is because Twifire's main benefits come from map modding within the game, free map adding WHILE INGAME like a minecraft/garrys mod type feel. And we don't really do that / use it for that. Other mods are much more simpler and seemingly preferred by the gaming community it seems.
What the majority of people like is usually the old shitty thing that the intelligent few don't use anymore. No exception here. (Not to mention, the majority like BaseJK, not DCMod)

Quote :
So I turn my head towards DC mod 1.2, or I believe what SoL uses is DC Mod 1.2 RELOADED. Not positive.
They have their own private SoL version of DC Mod. (Default DC Mod is so horrifying shitty it's not worth considering.)

Quote :
2: Twifire's combat/fighting system is a little off. In force, it lags when getting close to someone. Sabers hit boxes really are quite a bit off. And for a skills clan, not a good thing.
Negative. Default system mainly - just two things: Most combaters prefer to set "sv_fps 30" on the server (Enhances saber accuracy) And player collision is awkward cause I can't find a good way to make some people nonsolid to some people and solid to others (EG, team games, duels, etc.) - if you're annoyed with this, you can switch the value of server CVar "mc_betterghosting" (Set to whatever it isn't already set to. It's two different methods of accomplishing ghosting.)

Quote :
3: Twifire mods ability to have 1-5 levels of admin. We have members that are requesting admin privileges, which they have earned by progressing through the ranks, as promised as an obligation/privilege obtained once reached at that rank at that point in time. Monkey says you have to open some file in order to edit them. But you can set specific admin privileges for the ranks 1-5, so its evenly proportioned on abilities. I'll direct Monk to this topic/subject so he may be able to provide further assistance.
It actually has a generic numbering system to compare admin levels. It simply defaults to capping at 5, you can have infinite.
And I'll put together a tutorial on how to create the admin-default files (It's more complex than I want it to be, but it should be doable)

UPDATE: http://mcmonkey4eva.dyndns.org/twifire -- tutorial listed as "Admin Default File Help"

Quote :
1) Keep Twifire but begin adding abilities to each individual admin level 1-5. If you don't want to do this, can you give me Rcon password/access so that I may fix this up? I'd go as far as to rename each admin level not just 'level 1' but as to renaming it completely to 'Sith Adept/Jedi '
Named ranks isn't really possible (Display name at least, for /amwhois) - I can add that if you want. (It's pretty simple, I just didn't have it because with infinite ranks, infinite ranknames would be odd. But I can make a 1-5 ranknames or whatever)

Quote :
2) Convert TO not BACK to, but TO DC Mod 1.2 "Reloaded?" Which is preferred by the general population of the JK2 community due to its MORE SO precise & accurate combat system. Reloaded also adds more admin commands / abilities I believe than basic DC Mod.
- You can only get DCMod1.2, which sucks. Not SoL's version.
- General population prefers BaseJK actually... and following the general population is rarely a good idea.
- It's not any more precise/accurate. Just use a higher sv_fps.
- And DCMod, SoL version or not, has very very few admin abilities.
- Oh, also DCMod is full of bugs and security holes and problems that a proper SE/Twifire server wouldn't have.
Back to top Go down
http://mcmonkey4eva.dyndns.org
Enomiss
Emperor
Emperor
Enomiss

Why use twifire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why use twifire   Why use twifire Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 8:05 pm

mcmonkey wrote:
My response to https://jedisithorder.rpg-board.net/t135-server-updates-modifications
because they keep posting discussion-needing-things in a locked section for some silly reason.

Quote :
1: Are we going to take advantage of / use it for what its worth concerning 'Twifire' mod?
Reason I ask this is because Twifire's main benefits come from map modding within the game, free map adding WHILE INGAME like a minecraft/garrys mod type feel. And we don't really do that / use it for that. Other mods are much more simpler and seemingly preferred by the gaming community it seems.
What the majority of people like is usually the old shitty thing that the intelligent few don't use anymore. No exception here. (Not to mention, the majority like BaseJK, not DCMod)

Quote :
So I turn my head towards DC mod 1.2, or I believe what SoL uses is DC Mod 1.2 RELOADED. Not positive.
They have their own private SoL version of DC Mod. (Default DC Mod is so horrifying shitty it's not worth considering.)

Quote :
2: Twifire's combat/fighting system is a little off. In force, it lags when getting close to someone. Sabers hit boxes really are quite a bit off. And for a skills clan, not a good thing.
Negative. Default system mainly - just two things: Most combaters prefer to set "sv_fps 30" on the server (Enhances saber accuracy) And player collision is awkward cause I can't find a good way to make some people nonsolid to some people and solid to others (EG, team games, duels, etc.) - if you're annoyed with this, you can switch the value of server CVar "mc_betterghosting" (Set to whatever it isn't already set to. It's two different methods of accomplishing ghosting.)

Quote :
3: Twifire mods ability to have 1-5 levels of admin. We have members that are requesting admin privileges, which they have earned by progressing through the ranks, as promised as an obligation/privilege obtained once reached at that rank at that point in time. Monkey says you have to open some file in order to edit them. But you can set specific admin privileges for the ranks 1-5, so its evenly proportioned on abilities. I'll direct Monk to this topic/subject so he may be able to provide further assistance.
It actually has a generic numbering system to compare admin levels. It simply defaults to capping at 5, you can have infinite.
And I'll put together a tutorial on how to create the admin-default files (It's more complex than I want it to be, but it should be doable)

UPDATE: http://mcmonkey4eva.dyndns.org/twifire -- tutorial listed as "Admin Default File Help"

Quote :
1) Keep Twifire but begin adding abilities to each individual admin level 1-5. If you don't want to do this, can you give me Rcon password/access so that I may fix this up? I'd go as far as to rename each admin level not just 'level 1' but as to renaming it completely to 'Sith Adept/Jedi <whatever rank>'
Named ranks isn't really possible (Display name at least, for /amwhois) - I can add that if you want. (It's pretty simple, I just didn't have it because with infinite ranks, infinite ranknames would be odd. But I can make a 1-5 ranknames or whatever)

Quote :
2) Convert TO not BACK to, but TO DC Mod 1.2 "Reloaded?" Which is preferred by the general population of the JK2 community due to its MORE SO precise & accurate combat system. Reloaded also adds more admin commands / abilities I believe than basic DC Mod.
- You can only get DCMod1.2, which sucks. Not SoL's version.
- General population prefers BaseJK actually... and following the general population is rarely a good idea.
- It's not any more precise/accurate. Just use a higher sv_fps.
- And DCMod, SoL version or not, has very very few admin abilities.
- Oh, also DCMod is full of bugs and security holes and problems that a proper SE/Twifire server wouldn't have.

The majority in 1.04 likes and prefers DC Mod. That's why SoL is always active, that and its the first server on the list. BaseJK is preferred by the majority in 1.02.

That's why I've considered this DC Mod 1.2 "Reloaded".

That's a command for ping / connection, not necessarily the mods ability to read hit points on the body. I suppose better ping would help do so, but connection wise, not so much the actual system of the mod/game. I do agree that that command for fps needs to be inputted for the lag fixes. From this point I can't tell if its the mod that lags or just the server.

Thank you Monkey for the tutorial! Very Happy. Now DuDe's just gotta check it out or give me remote access to the server as well so I could attempt to edit it.

Why is it not possible? It works in other mods I believe. Well not necessarily specific rank names, I would hope you wouldn't preset that in a mod Razz. But I mean like the admin command - ability to change more server settings would be lovely, perhaps with the /amremote? (since it acts as Rcon if I'm not mistaken?)

- Well that blows if its true. Have to do some research. But theirs probably ways to customize it, SoL apparently did it.
- General population in 1.02, yes. 1.04 leads more towards DC Mod, KaMod, and Jedi Academy 1.6. Why not? If it attracts the most people that's kind of the goal.
- That's not true bro Razz. Twifire's saber system is without a doubt different than DC Mod. Players come in and complain about it all the time. And I've experienced it to be true when especially using yellow/medium fan or any red/strong moves really.
- Admin abilities don't make the game a game though ^_^. There a great and useful addition, especially in this map modding case!
- Such as? Curious.

Back to top Go down
http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/Jhera
mcmonkey
Honorary Helper
Honorary Helper
mcmonkey

Why use twifire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why use twifire   Why use twifire Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 8:18 pm

Quote :

That's a command for ping / connection, not necessarily the mods ability to read hit points on the body. I suppose better ping would help do so, but connection wise, not so much the actual system of the mod/game. I do agree that that command for fps needs to be inputted for the lag fixes. From this point I can't tell if its the mod that lags or just the server.
JK2 servers, no matter how heavily modded, never lag. I used to host 4 servers at once on a Pentium-four windows XP... task manager said 0% CPU usage. Only up to 3% when servers were full and active.

Quote :
Why is it not possible? It works in other mods I believe. Well not necessarily specific rank names, I would hope you wouldn't preset that in a mod Razz. But I mean like the admin command - ability to change more server settings would be lovely, perhaps with the /amremote? (since it acts as Rcon if I'm not mistaken?)
It's not possible to do it because I haven't added that option. I can if you want. It was just awkward for the infinite-rank-values set up.

Quote :
- Well that blows if its true. Have to do some research. But theirs probably ways to customize it, SoL apparently did it.
Yeah... by reprogramming it. But if you can do that, why not just figure what what makes Twifire and DCMod "feel" different saberwise (Hint- either nothing at all, or a non-default change that DCMod made)

Quote :
- General population in 1.02, yes. 1.04 leads more towards DC Mod, KaMod, and Jedi Academy 1.6. Why not? If it attracts the most people that's kind of the goal.
You don't play JK2 much, do you? Popularity order in JK2: BaseJK, DCMod, DS-Online, Twifire/twimod/etc.... JA1.6 isn't even on the list, nobody uses it.

Quote :
That's not true bro Razz. Twifire's saber system is without a doubt different than DC Mod. Players come in and complain about it all the time. And I've experienced it to be true when especially using yellow/medium fan or any red/strong moves really.
It's BaseJK. I can't guarantee that it matches DCMod because I don't know if DCMod edited how sabers work.

Quote :
- Such as? Curious.
Force-crash, Q3InfoBoom, Q3Boom, etc. or even something as simple as spamming name/sabercolor/userinfo changes to lag people. DCMod has no built it security at all.
Back to top Go down
Enomiss
Emperor
Emperor
Enomiss

Why use twifire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why use twifire   Why use twifire Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 8:38 pm

Why don't you still? O_O.

I think it'd be nice ;p.

Mmm wouldn't know the first thing. Research time.

I do a lot, and have been playing on and off since 2003 or 2004. www.xfire.com/profile/shroomluck has a log of my hours I've played that have actually been counted.

JA Mod 1.6 used by STU Base.

Last edited by E-N-O-M-I-S-S on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ShadowBlood
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
ShadowBlood

Why use twifire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why use twifire   Why use twifire Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 4:56 am

I wouldnt mind converting to a different mod....

In my opinion, if Reloaded will help for combat or lag or whichever, im all game.

Seems in my opinion that we arent really using the full advantage of Twifire at the moment anyway.
Also, Popularity is a huge Plus for us Jk2 Players.

Excuse me if im being ignorant here or not.
Back to top Go down
Enomiss
Emperor
Emperor
Enomiss

Why use twifire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why use twifire   Why use twifire Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 10:24 am

For anyone who couldn't see what was in Server Status, this is what I wrote...

This is questionary and suggestionary.

Why Twifire?
Reason I ask this is because Twifire's main benefits come from map modding within the game, free map adding WHILE INGAME like a minecraft/garrys mod type feel. And we don't really do that / use it for that. Other mods are much more simpler and seemingly preferred by the gaming community it seems. So I turn my head towards DC mod 1.2, or I believe what SoL uses is DC Mod 1.2 RELOADED. Not positive. We should consider this if were not going to take more advantage of Twifire, in my opinion.

I Love Twifire mod, don't get me wrong. I just feel if we aren't taking advantage more of the ingame map modding and admin 1-5 infrastructure, we are suffering in the combat department for no reason. What I'm proposing is 2 things really:

1) Keep Twifire but begin adding abilities to each individual admin level 1-5. If you don't want to do this, can you give me Rcon password/access so that I may fix this up? I'd go as far as to rename each admin level not just 'level 1' but as to renaming it completely to 'Sith Adept/Jedi <whatever rank>' - Furthermore, once that is resolved map modding will be more actively engaged in the server because more members will have the admin ability to map mod. Not to mention I've begun adding stuff on base bespin map with help from monk.

JKA Server - Maps
I know JSOVIL is under maintenance. But I think in the meantime AT LEAST, but possibly permanent if you agree. But I think Sithcouncilv2 and Jedicouncilgcx need to be added to the server. I'd even go so far as to suggesting setting the default/base map for the JKA server sithcouncilv2 or jedicouncilgcx. Most prefer sithcouncilv2, but I lean either way.
JediCouncilGCX downloadable here: http://www.council.dk/index.php?c=Maps&category=Downloads&Review=39

Back to top Go down
mcmonkey
Honorary Helper
Honorary Helper
mcmonkey

Why use twifire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why use twifire   Why use twifire Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 3:25 pm

ShadowBlood wrote:
In my opinion, if Reloaded will help for combat or lag or whichever, im all game.
It would not.
Back to top Go down
Enomiss
Emperor
Emperor
Enomiss

Why use twifire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why use twifire   Why use twifire Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 7:56 pm

From experience between trying them both, their is an apparent significant difference between hit box detection, so I'd have to argue it does. But I'd like to keep Twifire, we just need to sort out the admin levels permissions and that in turn will help the map modding area by allowing other members the admin ability to actually try and build stuff.
When DuDe gets on, I'll direct him to your tutorial Monkey Smile.
Back to top Go down
mcmonkey
Honorary Helper
Honorary Helper
mcmonkey

Why use twifire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why use twifire   Why use twifire Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 9:45 pm

E-N-O-M-I-S-S wrote:
From experience between trying them both, their is an apparent significant difference between hit box detection, so I'd have to argue it does. But I'd like to keep Twifire, we just need to sort out the admin levels permissions and that in turn will help the map modding area by allowing other members the admin ability to actually try and build stuff.
When DuDe gets on, I'll direct him to your tutorial Monkey Smile.
I'll say it again, then:
That's just settings like sv_fps.
It's not the mod, it's how you set the BaseJK options.

... oh and, make sure he's doing it from the newest Beta version of Twifire...
I just updated the admin calculator to be much easier to use (It should be intuitive now, but I updated the Tutorial just to be safe)
Back to top Go down
ShadowBlood
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
ShadowBlood

Why use twifire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why use twifire   Why use twifire Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 11:45 pm

You know when i think on it now, id really love to take advantage of the Ingame building. I used to build all the time in Makermod ( JKA Mod ) , which was dedicated to building and scripting and such. I had some great designs back then id like to implement here Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Why use twifire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why use twifire   Why use twifire Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why use twifire
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Jedi|Sith Order :: The Social Circle :: General Discussion-
Jump to: